(edited October 18 2011)
I probably should not call this Hokkaido Loaf bread recipe since I am not really using Hokkaido milk. I am using whipping cream (very thick milk). But, this is the closest recipe that worked for me in producing a very soft fluffy bread.
The secret to soft fluffy bread is TangZhong. I use this in all my bread dough now. The night before you bake bread, prepare a paste call TangZhong. The process of cooking the flour helps retain the moisture.
TangZhong is 1 part of flour to 5 parts of water. It is also known as the 65 degrees C because it is at this temperature that TangZhong is ready. Transfer TangZhong paste to a clean bowl. When it is slightly cooled, cover with a plastic wrap to prevent from drying up. Chill the TangZhong paste in the refrigerator overnight. This paste can be stored up to a few days. (If it turns grey, it is bad, throw it away!) Making TangZhong takes only a few minutes and the results is soft and fluffy homemade bread that stays soft longer.
Here are the ingredients:
TangZhong or Water Roux Starter 湯種
1/3 cup flour
1 cup water
Mix 1/3 cup bread flour with 1 cup water until there are NO more lumps. Put the mixture in a pot and cook over medium heat. I stir continuously with my wooden chopstick. The mixture will thicken. Once you see “lines” in your mixture, turn off the heat.
2½ cups whole wheat bread flour
3tbsp+2tsp caster sugar
1 large egg
1tbsp+1tsp milk powder
½cup milk (use whipping cream or whole milk)
half of the tangzhong you made
2 tsp instant yeast
3tbsp butter (cut into small pieces)
Method for preparing the dough:
(1) Put all the bread dough ingredients into the bread machine. Choose the dough setting and press start.
(2) Line baking loaf pan with parchment paper.
(3) After this cycle (about one hour and 30 minutes) the machine will beep. Remove the dough from the bread machine and place onto a silpat. Divide into 2 doughs. Shape into loaf shapes and place into loaf pan.
(4) Leave it for the 2nd round of proofing, about 30 minutes. Cover with cling wrap.
(5) Brush whisked egg white on surface.
(6) Bake in a pre-heated 356F oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven.
related article: Ham and Corn Taiwanese Bun